The latest Zoobooks animal is an old favorite: elephants! But even though they’re popular animals, that doesn’t mean that there’s nothing new to learn about them. Check out these fun facts!
- An elephant’s trunk is both its nose and its upper lip.
- Elephants live in matrilineal groups, led by the oldest female.
- Newborn elephants weigh in around 260 pounds.
- Elephants are very smart animals—they’re able to recognize themselves in mirrors. That’s a skill that only a few other animals, like some dolphins and apes, have.
- Elephants can’t jump.
- An elephant’s tusks are teeth—specifically, incisors, like our “big front teeth.”
- When elephants swim, they use their tusks as snorkels.
Photo by Muhammad Mahdi Karim.